How much "technical skill" is enough for teachers? For students? #edtechex

I don’ t need to know how the engine works in my car, so why should I know what TCP/IP is and how DNS works?

I know how to read and write, so why is coding being talked about so much?

I don’t think a huge amount of technical know how is important to start. It’s the willingness to learn and adapt that is most important. When I started my tech job I knew how certain technology worked (basic computing and iPads). Beyond that, the IT side, was foreign to me. I’ve learned as I go along with the help of our network manager. Always learning is key for teachers and kids.

I’m guilty of confusing “willingness to learn and adapt” with “I don’t know how to restart my computer”. I expect more of the former and less of the latter, and need to promote that.

I’ve always looked at it as if I were teaching my non-technical parents how to do something. That way, I am prepared for the worst! :smile: I can always adjust from there. I agree with Jon, it’s the willingness to learn something new. Start with the simple stuff to build confidence, then progress in difficulty level. I always create step-by-step “How to” guides when I am working with my staff.

For students… show them once and they’ll pick right up on it 99% of the time.

I’m taking a different angle here. I want the teachers in my school to know how to teach and know how to incorporate tech into what and how they teach. I don’t give a lick if they know what a network is or how it works. (Honesty Check: I don’t really understand how a network works. I mean, I know the basics, but when our IT guys start throwing out initials I get more confused than the cat on Peppy LePue.)

I think teachers need a basic understanding of how to use and troubleshoot the tech they use, and be willing to ask when more expertise is needed.

I wonder where to draw the line. Is knowing what DNS is and does important?

Does anyone have a list of terms broken up by basic/proficient/master?

A lot depends on your IT dept. I had a computer teacher (former colleague from former school) visit one day. She was salivating with envy with what I had at my disposal. She, on the other hand, claimed to spend hours under the computers messing with cables. I’m blessed to have good IT support so I don’t need to know much. If your IT sucks, you’d better learn and learn quickly.

Basic - me
Proficient - Jon
Master - you

Without an understanding of DNS and how it works, one can’t understand how to secure themselves from man-in-the-middle attacks or how to realize how insecure public wifi actually is. That’s just one example off the top of my head.

It’s like watching a movie or tv show that gets the terminology wrong. TV shows wouldn’t get a pass on saying that Columbus fought the Vikings in the new world, but they do get a pass when they mess up tech terms. Why is that?

DNS – From my high school cross country days – DID NOT START. Right?

They get a pass on tech terms because the general public cares that the tech works, not HOW it works. I confess I fall somewhat into this boat. And I wonder how to build up the self-esteem of the public wifi.

My wife and I have the same debate, why can’t I remember where the colander goes when I empty the dishwasher? “Why can’t you remember how to save a file to a flashdrive?”

Ugh, I have the definition of colander taking up precious real estate in my brain!